Visits

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Sleepless in Bali

Lying down to sleep has become for me like a nightly chapter in Dante's Inferno.

Tired you are
and rest you ought
but sleep is slain
by the sins you wrought ...

Or something like that.

I am tired indeed, exhausted, yet within ten minutes of lying down, every muscle in my body aches and wants to move. It's as if I'm trying to crawl out of my own skin. The minutes tick away and turn to hours, and still I'm lying there like hell's wakeful sentry.

"Halt! Who goes there?"

Ah, it's just me.

Even a prescription sleeping pill taken the other night had no effect. Aside from making me feel very sleepy while not sleeping.

Perhaps I should simply discard the tradition that sleep is something done at night, live the life of a vampire instead, wander the dim and destitute streets, moaning, "Coffeee, coffeee".

Through the watches of the night
and by the glaring day
rememberest thou
and penance pay ....

No comments: