Visits

Friday, March 5, 2021

Renovations

 My quiet, peaceful, uneventful life has been turned upside down with the arrival of Louis in Bali. Long imprisoned in Australia by the COVID restrictions, she has now been loosed. "Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war!" As I write this, a platoon of various sorts of workers is passing in and out through the house, drills buzzing, hammers banging, jack saws sawing (or jacking?). It appears that some are installing a washing machine, while others are erecting a roof over the wall garden area and still others are beginning on a canopy area in the driveway. I personally have a headache. 

Ah but well I guess it's all for the good. Eventually. I simply had not known that my house was lacking in so many ways (and I'm still not quite sure that it was). Last night, they brought in a new water dispenser, one of them state-of-the-art things, you know, that makes hot water and cold water and very hot water and very cold water and self cleans and has a clock and a timer and an LCD display that lights up the room at night as if it were day (reminding me last night of why I put duct tape over the display on my old water dispenser). The trouble is that impressive as this thing is, it doesn't work. Apparently it is suffering from a factory defect. So that's sitting in a corner as of the moment and the old water dispenser has triumphantly returned, although this will no doubt be a brief return, as with Napoleon's from Elba. The old dispenser has the unfortunate name Denpoo, but it always did its job, so to speak, and I had nothing against it. 

Louis herself has moved into the place next door, which did not have running water to begin with (the pump being broken). This has now been corrected, as she quickly discovered that living without running water, a shower, a faucet, a toilet, is an untenable proposition. 

In short, everything here is suddenly extremely active, extremely busy, extremely loud. Louis will be here in Sanur, in fact next door, for some months, she says, before moving down to Nusa Dua. Gosh, it's just like being married again! Sort of. 

No comments: