Visits

Friday, June 26, 2009

MS Nutrition 101


The Son of Man came eating and drinking
--Matt 11:19

  • Eat three or four balanced meals every day
  • Limit your fast food intake to two meals per week
  • Eliminate all sugary drinks (especially soda)
  • Limit your alcohol beverages to one a day
  • Drink at least 48 ounces of water each day
  • Exercise at least 45 minutes five days a week
  • Get seven to nine hours of sleep each night
Oh dear, I'm flunking MS nutrition 101.

Three or four balanced meals? Whatdaya mean balanced? You mean that the weight of the chips and salsa should not overbalance that of the ice cream?

Three or four meals? What, are you kidding me? I'm contending here with two dogs and two foreign exchange students! How much food do you think is left? Lately I've been skipping all but the bedtime snack.

Now where avoidance of fast food is concerned, I come through with flying colors. This is because I type ER reports for a living. Nuff said.

Eliminate all sugary drinks? What else is there to drink though? (Oh wait, I just remembered what my dad used to say: There's plenty of water in the Goddamn faucet!).

Now the alcohol intake is a toss up, for whereas I never drink nowadays (and for the last four years or so), I did come reasonably close to drowning in the stuff during earlier years. So what to make of this? I figure the way things add up, I've already had my lifetime quota, along with a couple other people's too.

Drink at least 48 ounces of water a day. (Regarding this, I think my dad would have said Turn off the Goddamn water before you run it all empty!).

Exercise?

Now sleep is good, and, again, I have that one nailed. Unless it is meant that one is not supposed to sleep more than 9 hours.

1 comment:

Jen said...

3-4 meals: done (sort of don't have a choice - baby makes me do it!)
limit fast food: again, done.
Sugary drinks: utter FAIL. Live on the stuff, and not just sugary drinks... probably why I failed the first pregnancy glucose tolerance test. eek! At least I passed the second.
Limit alcohol: done, even before pregnancy - never was a drinker.
Drink water: done
45 min exercise: again, utter FAIL. Walking is all I can really convince myself to do, but there's too many damn HILLS here in PA.
7-9 hrs sleep: eh... how's 5-7?

I also flunked: 4/7 is about 50%, which is a big fat F. I'm right there with ya, m'dear! So, we shall suffer the follies of our MS-unfriendly lifestyles together, yes? :P