Visits

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Imagine

Lying on a chaise lounge not far down the beach from the Bali Hyatt, basking, a bottle of Bintang in one hand, a writing tablet in the other. It’s about 1000 degrees Fahrenheit as far as I can tell, but there is a gentle breeze skirting the coast from the West and it is all just right, as perfect as can be.

Just finished a swim in the shoulder deep sea. It will rain again later most likely and last twenty minutes to an hour, and then the skies will clear and the sun will return and the foreign tourists will stroll out in the evening, complaining of the heat at the coolest hour of the day.

I never imagined this. Never in my lifetime. Or never anyway as it is. How terrible it would be to work again, at the work one has to do, I mean. Once we move to our long term place in Denpassar I will, as I am told, teach conversational English to children and women. By the time I heard of this I had already fifteen students signed up, thanks to my wife’s unending efforts to keep me gainfully busy. But it is two hours a day, three days a week, and so I really cannot complain. It might even be fun.

Regarding MS here in the oven, I know that heat is supposed to have a bad effect, but it's hard to tell if it is any different for me because I've never been in this kind of heat before. I'm supposing it could be uncomfortable for anyone, especially between 2 and 5 p.m.

No comments: