Visits

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Interview

Every once in a while, the bule here in Bali will be requested to do an interview by a student enrolled in study for language or for the travel and hospitality industry. In the interview, the student must use English and must comprehend English in his or her interview. I had one such interview this morning with a student of English through an old friend by the name of Iluh. The student's name is Risweni. I always enjoy doing these interviews, and I respect the student's desire to learn and to be able to communicate in "the universal language". Sadly, the educational system in Indonesia is such that very few learn to speak any English at all--unlike, for instance, Malaysia or Singapore, in which many are able to speak some English. This is a difficult situation for the Indonesian, because the Indonesian language is really only spoken in Indonesia (although Malay is similar and has many words in common). The Indonesian is therefore limited in business and in travel unless he or she gains some aptitude for English. 

It is helpful, too, for me to share the difficulties of learning a second language and to see how other people are dealing with these. There are certain forms in English that just aren't the way things are said in Indonesian, and the same is true the other way around. I said for instance, "If the landlord doesn't want to make a deal, I will have to move." The phrase, "I will have to" does not translate well to Indonesian, and Risweni was trying to understand this as one word. In Indonesian, you would say "Kalau begitu, saya harus pindah", or "If so, I must move". There really is no conception of "have to" in the sense of "must". 

Upon concluding the English segment of the interview, we moved mostly to Indonesian, as the native speaker simply expresses things more comfortably in the native language, and of course it is the same with me for English. The most difficult thing, really, is hearing fluently. I regularly read in Indonesian, and I have a recognition of the words in print which forms a meaning in my mind--but seeing the words is much different than hearing them. This is why one tries as often as he can to enter into conversation with native speakers. It can be uncomfortable, and you may have to said "What?" fairly often, but little by little you become more able. 

For me, it is a fascinating and a rewarding occupation, as one is naturally drawn toward meaningful communication such that one may form meaningful relationships. 

No comments: