Visits

Monday, July 23, 2018

Arthur

I've been calling this guy "Arthur", although he may actually be more of, a "Spence". I'm not sure. Anyway, he's a sweet little dog, quite friendly and personable, with some intelligent things to say. 

I first met Arthur not long ago on my morning walk. His territory seemed to be the area on the other side of the cow pasture, but I  don't know who he belongs to, if indeed he belongs to anyone. He has no collar, and has not seemed to display an attachment to any particular house. More than likely, as with many Bali dogs, he is loosely associated with a person or household in the neighborhood, but pretty much runs free.

Arthur began to follow me home because he was following the big fat brown dog who was in heat and who generally accompanies me on my walks. Since then, however, he has fallen into the habit of visiting my house 'just because' (or maybe just because he will often get a sausage or a cookie or a bit of cheese). Like the big fat brown dog, he will come and go throughout the day, just hanging out, or snoozing for a few minutes, or what have you. Curiously,, he is irritated if he happens to find me snoozing on the bed, and stands there at the bedside growling at me. Why he is angered by my naps, I do not know, nor has he said. 

Arthur has the coloring of a classic Bali dog--brown with black striping. He is sharp-witted and independent--although still too young at this point to have developed a suspicion of human beings and the resultant stand-offish-ness that typifies most dogs in Bali. 

Since Arthur has no collar and roams freely, he is fairly liable not to last very long; for, you see, every citizen in Bali is deputized to kill unaccompanied, unmarked dogs on sight, if they feel like it. No penalty. It is a bit of a hysterical, not to mention brutal, reaction to the threat of another rabies outbreak. One can think of any number of ways the situation might be addressed in a more humane, and more efficient fashion. Public education, for instance? Free clinics or neutering programs? A leash law? 

Ah well. Take care, Arthur. Watch your back. Good luck, buddy! 

No comments: