Visits

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

She's Just a Dog who says that I am the One

I'm taking my morning walk, and the big dog, who is not my dog, is following me as usual, as we happen upon the jovial lady who is selling fruit drinks at her stand on the roadside, as always. With her this morning are two others, an elderly man and an elderly woman, who happily greet me as I pass. And as I walk on by, I hear the jovial woman explaining that every day I take a walk for exercise and that I always pass her stand and say hello and that I come from America and that the big fat brown dog, who is not my dog, always follows me. Ah! the old people happily exclaim. 

Indonesians love knowing their surroundings. If you ever have any questions about a neighborhood or someone in the neighborhood, just ask the people that you see. Everyone has a story and every story gets around and there is honor is being knowledgeable. This man is married, that woman is not. That woman has three children, two girls and a boy. Her husband travels a lot. Those young men in the corner house are from Java, they've kampung, and they don't pay their rent on time and they don't feed their dogs.

I am the bule who every morning walks the dog that does not belong to him, and I live just over there, all alone, on Tukad Yeh Sungi. Or so it is said. 
    

No comments: