Visits

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Hawking

The atheists are celebrating today because Stephen Hawking, now deceased, has declared in a posthumous book that there is no God. 

Ah ha! 

At the same time, he has concluded that 'aliens' are definitely possible. 

Hmmm. 

To me, the failure of logic here is fairly obvious. The one unobserved phenomenon is possible, the other is not. How so? Frankly, when it comes to God, or to aliens too at this point, I would rather consult the philosopher than the scientist. What special knowledge, after all, does a scientist bring to the question of God? 

One commentator on the article "schooled" me on the matter. 'It's a very large universe,' he said, 'and therefore it is likely that there are aliens.' 

Umm … huh? Does the size of my wallet make it likely that there is a lot of money in the wallet? And how is it that a large universe makes aliens possible but God impossible? 

Well, the atheists get very touchy over these things and tend to reject logical and philosophical approaches as beside the point. 

I'll just add the following for now. Last year, an interviewer asked the following question of Hawking: "Why is there a universe?" 

Hawking answered: "If I knew that, then I would know everything important." He added, "Then we would know the mind of God."

No comments: