Visits

Monday, May 18, 2020

News from Surabaya

I think I mentioned previously that I have a friend, or an acquaintance rather, in Surabaya, Java, who is an ER doctor--and quite a smart cookie too, fluent in four languages, and only 24 years old. My goodness. Sort of the female equivalent of Doogie Howser, I guess. (Anyone remember Doogie?).

But anyway, I had asked her recently for her opinion on why America is so much worse off with the Covid virus than Indonesia. In a delayed response received today, the doctor said she didn't reckon it is worse off.

Yikes.

That means there are 10s of 1000s of cases not being reported here, if her estimation is correct.

Why am I surprised? I don't know. It's not like Indonesia is well known for its fine administrative order and proficiency. I mean, just considering the circus we have to go through every year in immigration just for the renewal of a permit for someone who has already been here nine years, one has to be decidedly less than impressed. So who knows what the real count is? Or do they really even want to know?  

Well, well. At the same time, Indonesia is experiencing the same sort of economic collapse as America, only worse, because internet computer and office technology is just in its infancy here--which means that most folks can't just 'work from home'. Nor is the government about to send money to folks who are out of work. So you can well imagine that if they are not dying of Covid, they are dying of starvation. Still, the country is not opening up as quickly as America has done. Is that because of a wise approach to the future, or is it because they know the virus is hopelessly out of control?

Well … stay tuned, I guess.
 

No comments: