Visits

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Help!

 This morning I had gotten down on the floor to repair an electrical outlet only to find that I could not get up afterwards--which struck me as funny, as it reminded me of an old TV commercial depicting an old woman lying on her floor and reporting into a special new medical alert system (which was the thing being advertised), "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up." 

As soon as I was able to stop laughing, I began to search about for a way I might regain my feet. It's not as easy as it may seem. One needs some stable object low enough to grab onto with one's arms, because it is clear that one's legs and one's back are not going to do the job on their own. 

I try the chair first, but it becomes quickly clear that this is not going to work. The chair is too tippy and I will end up still on the floor with the added burden of a chair on top of me. So I begin to slide about the room, looking for a likely purchase for my arms. There is not much available, as it turns out. The house seems not to have been constructed with a cripple in mind. The bed leads to another failure, as the blankets and sheets slip off the mattress in my hands. I navigate back to the chair and set my eyes upon the floor fan. And begin laughing again. My God, how have I become this poor old woman who can't get up? What a world, what a world. 

Well, luckily this is a rather large and stable fan and I am able to climb it like a pole. Whew! 

I guess this is why God invented handymen to begin with. 


3 comments:

Christoph said...

Seriously: maybe you should consider to get yourself one of these smart watches that can automatically call a friend or an ambulance if something like this should happen again. When I fell at night in my bathroom in Renon and got unconscious for some hours, I would have been really happy to have one, as it was no fun - now I got myself one.

R.W. Boughton said...

Christoph--Well, the thing is, I didn't fall down, I just got down on my own and then couldn't get up Lol. Nonetheless, I do see your point.

Anonymous said...

Get a cane. Keep it handy.