Visits

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Good Morning?

 I had a dream last night wherein when I awoke, in the dream, I found myself completely unable to speak. My mind was able to gather words quite normally, but the words vanished at any attempt at utterance. In fact, no sound at all could be uttered, not so much as a sigh or a grunt. 

My immediate thought was that someone must be alerted regarding this problem. Louis came to mind. But how was I to alert her if I could not speak? Or make even the slightest sound. 

Ah, a text message! 

Upon retrieving my phone, however, and tapping her profile picture on WhatsApp, I immediately found that I had no idea how to type a sensible message. I knew very well the words I wanted to type but simply could not transfer them to letters on the screen. I could manage only alphabet soup. 

Hmm, this was a kerfuffle. 

My next inspiration was to write out my message on a sheet of paper and hold the sheet up before the phone screen. But of course, as it turned out, I could no more write the words, any words, by hand than type them into the phone. What I wanted to communicate--or rather now needed rather desperately to communicate--was perfectly clear in my mind yet perfectly incommunicable outside of my mind. 

Morse code? Well, no. I don't know Morse code, nor surely would she or pretty much anyone else. Sign language? Same problem. 

What to do? 

Well, ultimately the best answer was to wake up, which I did, with considerable relief, even bidding myself a verbal good morning just to be sure--although it remains reasonable to ask whether 'good morning', isolated in the empty air of a house occupied only by oneself, possesses any meaning on its own, or indeed even exists at all. 

No comments: