Visits

Thursday, August 22, 2024

A Brief Encounter

 I ran into a very friendly fellow American this morning as I was coming out of the Daily Baguette Cafe. He came out as I was pausing to smoke a cigarette and struck up a conversation. He was from California, he told me, but came originally from Minnesota and has been here in Bali 3 years. I thought of saying Oh, Minnesota, the home of Tim Walz. I'm glad I didn't though, because he immediately started out on a rant about how terrible America is now. Even the food is fake, he said, and everyone is so woke. It's all you hear about. Woke culture. And he can't stand it anymore. 

To be honest, I don't know what woke means. Yes I see it all the time on Facebook and so on, but I can't really put my finger on any specific meaning other than perhaps it has, among those who are opposed to it, something to do with a dislike of and an intpolerance for homosexuality and trans people and liberal ideas, and so on. Anyway, I sure didn't want to talk about it. I can understand if people don't like woke culture, whatever woke happens to mean to them, but I don't understand how it does any harm to them or how it seems a threat to the extent that they would have been driven out of the country altogether. Very strange. I've been away for a long time now, and I am reminded again that I'm better off for it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woke means that you can’t buy cigarettes because the progs don’t want you to be able to smoke them.

R.W. Boughton said...

Anon: Ah. Well I guess that could be an example. It reminds me of the time someone came to my table on the outdoor patio equipped with ashtrays and picked up my cigarette from my ashtray and dropped it in my coffee. I didn't think he was woke at the time though. I just thought he was an asshole.

Anonymous said...

Yes well you see the concept now. Woke is someone who is more enlightened, and dedicated to repairing society from the consequences of your ignorance.

Anonymous said...

Of course come to think of it, that sounds like the MAGA morons and their orange messiah as well.