Visits

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Aging Daily

It seems like my cognitive circuitry, given the MS add-on, which of course is really a subtraction, is equal to negotiating about one-quarter of a typical day's demands. Try to squeeze in more, and the lights begin to go out. In other words, I fall asleep.

There are certain warning signs associated with these immanent shutdowns--a general hanging of the head, a stiffness in the neck, an achiness in the limbs, a taffy-like quality to the procession of thought. Think of a music box that is reaching the end of its most recent winding.

Having started out sharp and able, I become progressively more slow and stupid. It's like living from youth to old age in the space of a few hours. Sometimes I wonder if it looks the same on the outside as it feels on the inside.

Whoa, dude, you've aged like 20 years since breakfast!


And it's true. I start out straight, and reasonably agile; I end up with a cane, or holding onto the walls.

Ah, the good old days, of 9 and 10 o'clock in the morning. I remember them well.

2 comments:

kemaplus2 said...

You have described my MS days so eloquently. At least every day for a short period of time I do have a rebirth.

Herrad said...

Hi,

Sounds like me too.

Hope you have a good day today.

Love,

Herrad