Visits

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day and Night


My wife and I are so very different from one another. They say that people grow more alike through the years together, but frankly I cannot imagine there being enough years remaining to me to satisfy the demands of the yawning chasm between us. Rather, the gulf is not yet done with growing.

We are opposites, as perfectly so as day and night. I am cerebral, she is intuitive. I am poetic, she is practical. I am forgiving, she is vengeful. I am slow, she is fast. I deliberate, she decides. I am calm, she is a fury. I wear my heart on my sleeve, hers is guarded by seven fiery angels.

Her dream car is a Mercedes. I will take anything that runs. She wishes to expand. I would rather shrink. She feels identified in the world by the things she possesses. I feel incurably alienated.

My wife knows what she wants, and therefore what is lacking. I have pretty much what I want at all times. She is an extrovert, I am an introvert. She has scads of friends, I have two friends--my first ex-wife and my wife's ex-husband.

She dreams. I ruminate.

She is young. I am old.

She does not love those who do not love her. I love even my enemies.

She makes a profit. I break even, if I'm lucky.

She is beautiful, and I am homely.

She is healthy, I am sick.

And more amazing than what I have already written above is the fact that I really have not even started yet.

(P.S. -- We dress alike)

No comments: