Visits

Friday, March 22, 2019

Bergizi

Another day, another doctor. 

Although I felt fairly well the night before last--no fever, throat stuffy but not sore--I woke up the next morning running the rapids in a river of sweat, and the sore throat had returned as well. 

Luckily, I was able to get Louis and her boyfriend to drive me to the hospital. Really don't know whether I could have made it on the scooter. After dropping me off to face the interminable waiting period alone, they went off to look for a new phone to replace my lost iPhone. There were, I was told, nineteen patients in front of me. 

So anyway, I eventually saw an internist, who determined that the infection was 'all in the head' (physically, not mentally), and prescribed a combination course of antibiotics and antivirals along with the chalk that people call aspirin here. 

Take the medicine, rest, and eat bergizi

"Bergizi." I had never heard of this food before. What could it be? Fish? Poultry? Vegetables? 

"What is bergizi, I asked. I've never heard of it." 

"Oh! Bergizi. That means healthy, ya. Healthy food. Never heard of healthy food? Maybe that why you sick, mister." 

Ah well, a little humor even in illness. 

Day one now of new medicine and bergizi food. So far, low level fever, stuffy but not very painfully sore throat. Fatigue. (I guess that's where the rest part comes in). Give it five days, the man said. 

And so I will. 

No comments: