Visits

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Lullaby

Went to bed at about 10 last night. Fell asleep directly. Awoke feeling refreshed and well rested. Trouble is, when I checked the time on my phone I found that only two hours had passed. 

What to do now? 

It occurred to me that I should go outside and smoke a cigarette. But that didn't take very long. Checked the clock again and found the time to be 12:15. Hmmm. 

So I sat a while, just appreciating the cool night air. Bats were flitting between the palm trees that divide one side of the villa from the other, noiseless as butterflies, swift as shadows. The fountain at the center of the grounds bubbled away, sleepless as well. A dog barked somewhere in a far off unseen place. A sudden gust of wind sent the palms into momentary panic, but then all was quiet again and the night curled up to sleep. 


And so did I. 

No comments: