Visits

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Assisted Recollection

I called my son's mother this morning to ask if she could reinstall some bits of my erased memory about his birth and babyhood. I'm so glad I did, for she knew the time and the place, remembered everything. 

For example, while she was in labor in the delivery room, another woman was undergoing a complicated birthing of triplets, and that woman died in childbirth. I was coming up in the elevator after getting some snacks, she reminded me, heard some doctors talking about the death of this woman in the delivery suite, and was in a panic because I thought they were talking about my wife. Lordy, this event had totally disappeared from my brain! 

For example, my son had a cut on his forehead when he was born and he had a birthmark that looked like the starship Enterprise. 

For example, when I was tickling him in his cradle, he peed on my head. 

For example, I had become ill just after his birth and could not sit with her in the hospital and she was very angry that I had chosen such an inconvenient time to be ill. 

So many things. My God, we were so young. I was still in college! We didn't know anything about children or babies at the time except that we both found them vaguely annoying. 

We had wanted a daughter, she reminded me, and I had already chosen/invented a name--Roanne--and had even written a poem about my daughter to be. She still misses Roanne, she said. Lol. But that's okay, so do I. She would have been such a sweet, blonde-haired girl. 


They visited the grave yesterday, she and her husband, and laid flowers and chatted with my resting son. They visit the grave once a month, and she was happy to report that he has some new neighbors nearby, though by this I was not surprised, for cemeteries are forever welcoming new tenants.

1 comment:

Skin project said...

Skilixir Marine Collagen is a very beneficial powder in our health if you are using continues collagen powder so,
improve your skin and storing your body and health and researching also told if you are taking collagen powder and automatically increase your body level
and etc. International searching also collagen drink india providing collagen powder. International lab also doing
same thing and lots of research how to work collagen powder so basically collagen is portion and Accounting to research collagen powder is very healthfully
quick response given collage powder in our body in our health there are lots of types of Collagen India collage
powder in available in market like collage powder and collagen drink.