Visits

Saturday, September 5, 2020

One Way In And No Way Out

 Ever notice how logic is of no use in a dream? Only later when one awakes and begins to turn the thing over in his mind does he notice the various impossibilities within the dream story, and yet these impossibilities were of no matter while dreaming.

I dreamed last night of travelling to an abandoned house somewhere in a hilly country. The weather was like that of Oregon, wet, gray, perhaps sprinkling rain some of the time. I don't remember why I had gone to the house, although I know there was a reason. I may have been looking at a house for sale or for rent, but when I entered the house, I found it still furnished. The rooms I walked through were dark and gloomy and there was something that just felt wrong about the place. I saw nothing and heard nothing, and yet there was a feeling of uneasiness, unpleasantness within the place. 

When I tried to leave, I found that there was no road that would lead me away. Every route I tried ended in a dead end, conveying me back to the house. I felt both frustrated and fearful and wondered how I had gotten here in the first place, for if there was no road leading out, there cannot have been a road leading in. 

The next thing I knew, I was describing the situation to my first wife and her husband, a miraculous circumstance given that it had already been determined that I could find no way to escape the house. In any case, I described the situation to them, stressing that I really needed to go back and get my car and find a way out of there. Apparently, they took me back, I returned to my car for another try, and happened eventually to notice a very small road which I had not noticed before, no wider than a sidewalk, and this turned out to be the avenue so impossible to find beforehand. 

The next problem was that I needed to get back to my car--never mind that just a minute ago I had been in my car--which, at this point anyway, had been parked further down the hill in the city. As we reached the city however, by foot now, I realized that I had no idea whatsoever of where I had parked the car. It could be anywhere! Nor could I fathom, as I woke bit by bit, how the car could have been in the city when the earlier problem involved being trapped, with the car, at the abandoned house.  

It was a troubling dream during the dreaming, and then again troubling later to the waking mind for its inconsistencies. But of course the two troubles are totally different, aren't they, the one being a trouble to the soul and the other a trouble to the mind. 

What could this have meant? I don't know. At this time, I truly have no idea. Displacement would seem to be a theme. Desperation? Entrapment? Futility? Stagnation? 

I don't know. You tell me. 


No comments: