Visits

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lego Land or Bust

Carlsbad, CA
9:53

We are once again awakened in the early morning by my father-in-law, who wanted to remind us that free breakfast was being served in the lobby. Just in case we had forgotten his 6 a.m. wake up call the morning before.

Yesterday we went to the bay front in San Diego, took a boat ride around the bay, saw the aircraft carriers Midway and Enterprise. Sasha taught his grandparents to say "aircraft carrier." After a fashion that is. We all repeated the words aircraft carrier so many times that the words got stuck in my head and I couldn't think of anything else.

So it happened throughout the remainder of the day that I was as likely as not to answer aircraft carrier in any form of conversation. When, for instance, the sidewalk artist asked whether I wanted to buy a souvenir, I answered "aircraft carrier." When the hostess in the restaurant asked for my order, I ordered an "aircraft carrier."

Having explored the bay front, my father in law because hungry. We had heard a lot already about the fresh fish to be had roundabouts, chowder and slumgullion, fresh tuna and crab legs.

Therefore we drove uptown and went to a Chinese restaurant.

Where else does one eat on the bay front in San Diego?

On the plus side, the meal was cheap--even with our party of seven--because both my wife's parents and Albert's parents had brought along their own buckets of precooked rice. (I had been wondering up to that point why the inside of the car smelled so like an Asian kitchen).

Next on the agenda was the drive of 200 miles of so (30 in anyone else's car) back to Carlsbad in search of the surprisingly elusive Lego Land.

We did not find it.

Today we shall, even if it kills us. It's a toss up either way.

But before we leave, I'm going to take an aircraft carrier--I mean a nap.

No comments: