Visits

Friday, December 28, 2012

Little Bits of Joy

Yesterday evening, after the rain, I took a walk.  Upon passing a house a few blocks from mine, I came upon a little boy, peeking out from his front gate.  "Hi!" he said. "Where do you come from?"

Upon learning that I could talk, the boy immediately ran to call his sisters, who also came to the gate to see the marvel. A tall, talking white man from a far country.

"Where do you come from?" they asked. "Where do you live?  How long have you been here?  How old are you? What religion are you?"

On learning that I am a Christian, each stepped forward to shake my hand and wish me a Merry Christmas. It was the first time I had heard the greeting the whole season through.

We talked about the fruit on the nearby trees. This one was bitter. This one was sweet. This one was not eaten, but used for medicine.

We parted then, after sharing these basics of conversation.

"See you tomorrow," they said, all three. "See you tomorrow, mister."

No comments: