Visits

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Patrik

I have had, during Patrik's vacation in Bali, the opportunity to talk with him at great length and depth about any number of things. I must say that I do not envy his age - just on the verge of becoming an adult. What a bummer, right? What am I supposed to do? How will I make a living? What am I interested in, that will matter, that is, in 'real life'? One foot is still firmly placed in a fairly carefree world, while the other is stepping into the many cares of adult life. At the same time, I am astounded by his mental apptitude and by the range and depth of his ruminations. He does not know right now that he worries too much. No intelligent 17 year old does. What I want him to know is that things in life will have a way of finding him, rather than him having to search high and low for them, filled with hesitance and anxiety. He will need to learn the wisdom of stillness, and, hopefully, some day, the efficacy of prayer. If it can be said that I had any hand in forming this boy, though not of my own flesh and blood, it will be to me a proud thing indeed.

No comments: