Visits

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Expelled for the Moment

 Well, here I am for my second coffee at my second coffee spot this morning. Usually I don't drink this much coffee anymore, but the trouble is that there is a tukang (a handyman) at the house trying to patch two of the walls, and the maid is there as well, and I just feel distinctly in the way. A couple of nights ago, we had our first big rain and I noted the next day that two of the walls were wet on the inside. I am told that this is not unusual for a new house in the first rain. But anyway, the walls need to be patched and repainted. 

I also note that when it rains heavily, it is quite impossible to go out either the front or the back door (to smoke, for instance) without getting drenched. There's just no cover. Ostensibly, this nuisance will be dealt with when Louis erects a 'canopy' in the front (like a parking bay cover), but I don't know when that will actually happen. 

We'll be in this 'rainy season' situation for about the next six months--not that it rains all the time, or even often, but when it does rain, it comes down (and sideways and slant-ways) in proverbial dogs and cats. It will be interesting as well to see how this land on which all these new houses have been built will react to flood rains. There are those who are worried, as this used to be a rice field. I think that my house is on a little bit higher, rockier ground than that at the head of the street, but we shall see. 

Apparently, houses on the other side of my street are disallowed because of the proximity to the nearby Pertamina gas station. So I guess our view of the beautiful gas station will never be blocked. There was some talk of making a park there and putting in some trees, but that would be something that would happen down the road from now, if ever. 

No comments: