Visits

Sunday, June 27, 2021

Jaeger

 There's a little girl in my neighborhood, perhaps 10 years old, who kind of watches over the six neighborhood puppies. She has a name for each puppy, and, knowing that, I asked her the name of the puppy who is most often hanging out at my house. 

"Oh, that's Jaeger," she said. 

"Jaeger?"

"Iya." 

What is she actually saying, I wondered. The first part sounds like "jay", as in Blue Jay, and the second part has that long rolling "rrrrr". Jay-gerrrrr. 

When Louis came by the house later that day, I asked her about it.

"Jaygerrrrr," I said. "Is it a word? Does it mean something in Indonesian."

"Jaygerrr? Oh, Jagger! She's saying Jagger, as in 'Mick Jagger'." 

Turns out that this is indeed the case, as Louis confirmed with the little girl. 

...

This 'Mick Jagger' fellow seems to believe that he lives at my house, despite being continually told otherwise. He is the first dog to show up in the morning, and expects a bowl of dog food, because I had the bad sense to give him a bowl a couple days in a row. (I felt sorry for him, you see, because he doesn't seem to be growing as large or vigorous as the other pups). He sleeps in the house for as long as he can get away with it and feels offended when I put him outside. I close the gate, but at this time he is still small enough to wiggle beneath the bottom of the gate, which he straightaway does. 

...

Yesterday, I was caught by "big water" while otherwise enjoying my coffee and muffin at the beachside cafe. Twice, actually. 'Big water' is what Indonesians call 'high seas.' I could see that the water was higher than usual, but I did not expect it to come splashing beyond the sand and over the tabletops. Lol. After the second drenching, the waitress came to my table and said, "Um, Uncle, maybe you want to move?" Ah well, it had been a long time since I'd had a swim anyway. 

No comments: