My Life in Bali, Multiple Sclerosis, Literature, Politics, Travels, and Other Amusements
Visits
Tuesday, September 29, 2026
Twain
I was watching a documentary on Mark Twain the other day and I was shocked to find that he was only 74 years old when he died. I say only, only as an old man, I suppose. But the surprising thing was just that it was surprising--surprising because I have read several biographies of Twain and of course I've seen many pictures of Twain, but somehow it had not sunk in that he was not more like 90 years old. He certainly looks 90 years old in some the photos I've seen. But here is what I am getting around to. I myself am nearly 73 years old now. Could it be that I am nearly as old as Twain and ready to die? That I have just one year left? Surely I cannot live longer than Mark Twain, because, I mean, after all, he was Mark Twain for God's sake! And lived a life worth living, and left so much behind for the rest of us. His imprint on life, even in death, far supersedes the impression made by most other people who have ever existed. Indeed, it absolutely blots us out. Now how do you like that? Anyway, I wish now that I hadn't watched that documentary and found out how really old I am. Thanks a lot, Mark.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment