Visits

Monday, December 1, 2008

The Fountain of Youth

Okay lets get this straight. Multiple sclerosis has absolutely nothing to do with old age! If people would endeavor for themselves to discover the first thing about it, they would find that most people diagnosed with MS are between 20 and 40 years of age. But no, I hear again and again, from people who do not know what they're talking about, that MS is just another malady arising from old age--like senility or arthritis or death itself.

Because I am a good deal older than my wife, certain of her friends insist on advising that this--the risk of illness, or some other form of creaky incapacitation--was an avoidable part of such an arrangement from the start.

My objections, however, cannot help but seem a bit impotent as I totter into the debate on my cane looking exactly like . . . well, like an old man.

Does it sound a little too weird for me to wish I'd been diagnosed at 20?

I figure if anything MS makes me young, because it drops me statistically right smack dab in the midst of a much younger age group.

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it!

1 comment:

Haddayr said...

I first started having my symptoms at a very early 37.

"Aging," said the doctors, who apparently had met millions of 30-somethings so flattened by exhaustion they could barely move.

"The aging process," they said, because they'd apparently seen zillions of women in their 30s unable to remain upright without a cane.

"The aging process," they said, because apparently pins-and-needles for no reason at all is a well-known symptom of aging.

So I'm thinking they say this to kids in their 20s, too. You can't escape it.