Visits

Sunday, June 14, 2015

A Fond Farewell

Very soon, my son, Sasha (aka Patrik) will be returning to live in America. I call him my son, although he is really my stepson, and he has always called me Dad. So I share the honor with his real dad, Albert. I have always treated my stepchildren as if they were my own, although only one out of five is biologically mine.

This will be a big change in life for me, as I have always kind of functioned around his presence and activities. Even though he is often busy at playing video games, I am there, to keep the fridge stocked, cook the meals, do the laundry and so on. What will be my function without Sasha?

Moreover, as I recently realized, this will be the first time in 40 years that I've not had a kid or kids in the house. How strange. I can't really even picture it at the moment. Who am I supposed to pick on? Who am I supposed to joke with or order about?

Of all my children, I reckon Sasha has been the easiest to deal with, the least troublesome and the least often in trouble. He is 15 now and should, statistically, to have begun to become a pain. But he's not, and never has been. He is bright, polite, thoughtful and generally helpful (when he's not too busy on the laptop).

Additionally, he watches over me. Knowing that I walk slowly, he will always pause and wait for me to catch up. Knowing that I have some problems with balance, he will stay close on a steep staircase or take my elbow in hand.

He's a good boy, Sasha is.

A while back, I had a talk with Sasha. I told him about my own father, who was somewhat distant and cold with children. And scary. He loved us, and took care of our needs, but he didn't say so with words or hugs or piggyback rides. I told Sasha that we always say, when we are young, that we will never turn out like our parents. But we often, very often, do. Except for the scary part, I am much like my own dad.

And so I explained this to Sasha and told him that I do love him, and wanted him to know that I love him.

To which Sasha answered, "Yeah, I know that, Dad."

No comments: