Visits

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Still Out

Day 3 without internet in the house. Yikes. And seeing as how this is Sunday, they will not likely be trying to solve the problem today. 

Wondering what I used to do before the advent of internet. Hmm. I  suppose I watched TV some of the time. I don't have a TV now, however. Nor do I have a DVD player in my laptop--so that means no movies either. I suppose that I spent most of my time working, as an adult, and most of my time playing outside as a child. 

Of course, when I first came to Bali, internet service was pretty primitive, like dial-up, and you had to go to a spot that had wifi and actually pay to use the wifi. I guess in those days I did a lot more playing outside, too. 

Although the internet is now much faster here than it was eight years ago, and service in restaurants and cafes is common and free, many of the people don't have personal access except on their phones, and then only if they have paid the phone plan. In private homes, wifi is still fairly rare. For this reason, the popular games here are the phone games, because most people don't have a laptop or desktop capable of playing the current games that Americans play, for instance, nor is the internet fast enough or reliable enough to play these games. And this is the main reason that my stepson, Sasha, is much, much happier in America!  

No comments: