Visits

Friday, February 22, 2019

Catch 22

Did I mention my fixation with receiving a Medicare card? I don't remember. It's kind of silly, really, given that I cannot use the card in Indonesia anyway, but I guess it's a peace of mind sort of thing. You know, I thought it would be good to have the card at ready should I suddenly take seriously ill and need to be rushed to a hospital thousands of miles away. They could sew the card to my ear, or tag it on my big toe, and life-flight me to the USA. 

Well, I said it was silly. 

But anyway, I finally received my awaited piece of mail from Medicare yesterday. Initially, it was my understanding, as imparted by the SSA website, that I would receive the card "a couple months" before my 65th birthday. When my birthday passed with no card, I called SSA, waited 50 minutes for a rep to answer, and was ultimately told that my card had been sent on the 25th of January (two days after my birthday). I would receive it in about 10 days, the rep told me. In fact, I received the mail on February 21st. 

Opening my piece of mail, I found no card. I found a message stating that cards were no longer being sent outside the United States and its territories. The letter stated that I could get my Medicare number and print my own card by filling out the form below. 

The first question to be filled in on the form below was "What is your Medicare card number?" 

Sigh. 

I then contacted Medicare through the chat feature on their website to ask how I could fill in my number on the form if I did not know my number.  

The rep, Eugene, said that this was not something that could be discussed online. 

No comments: