Visits

Friday, February 22, 2019

Do I Know You?

It happened again. A woman who fairly often comes into the Plaza Renon Starbucks, whom I have seen dozens of times in the past, who always drops a smile and a hello when I see her, came in today, said hello, asked how I was doing, and I had no idea who she was!

How can it be? How has this piece of memory dropped completely out of my mind? Why has it done so? 

After answering her greeting, I searched my mind for who she could be, how does she know me, how do I know her? I shuffled through a ream of possibilities--an employee from another Starbucks? An employee from this Starbucks? Someone in my neighborhood? Someone from a grocery that I frequent? An old friend of mine? An old friend of my wife's? Like looking for Private Ryan's name in a mountain of dog tags. 

At last, perhaps ten minutes down the road, the missing piece fell back in place. It was that woman I have seen dozens of times in the past. That woman who always smiles and says hello. Her name is Rizka, I think. Where the piece had gone, I do not know, nor do I know how it suddenly found its way back. 

Did she understand that I did not know who she was? Did my face look blank or dumbfounded. I don't know that, either. 

Dozens of times in the past, I have instantly recognized the woman. Dozens of times we have shared greetings. How can it have happened that today recognition completely fell through the floor and into a dark and webby void? 

No comments: