Visits

Sunday, October 27, 2019

Brunch at Batu Jimbar

Had a rare visit this morning to Batu Jimbar, a popular restaurant in Sanur, for brunch (or would that make the time of day 'brorning?'). Well anyway, here they call it siang, which is any time after 10 am up till about 3 pm, as far as I can figure, at which point it becomes sore

This was to be a gathering of my ex-wife, her boyfriend, and a 'brunch' of their friends and associates. As is the Indonesian 'custom', however, very few (which is to say none) of these friends and associates showed up. The tradition is to either show up  late or not at all. So the party ended up consisting of me, Louis, Wayne, and my friend Peter (actually Petr in Dutch, which he is). 

Ah well. It turns out that on every Sunday a 'Sunday Market' and smorgasbord is held at Batu Jimbar. I had yellow rice mixed with chicken and pork and tempe and God knows what else. Delicious! 

Some few years ago, I would often go to Batu Jimbar at night to take videos of my wife while she learned to dance salsa. I guess the idea was that she could learn by watching herself and critiquing her performance later on the phone video. And learn she did, such that she is now quite the accomplished salsa-ist. Salsarina? I dunno. It was disappointing to her that I couldn't, or wouldn't (or kwoudn't) do these twirling gyrations, but at least I was useful as a cameraman. 

It was a bit odd, though, being in this old place with this new group and new arrangement. Curiously, all I could think of was what an odd couple we had been, I being so quiet and sedate, she being so raucously all over the place, though not unpleasantly so. I could not help but think how odd this must look to my new friend, Peter. Like, hold on … you were married to her?

But that's okay. It seems odd to me as well. And I cannot help but think how much more appropriate the current situation is. What was in the past seems now to have been some sort of error or accident, and all things are now as they were supposed to have been to begin with. 


No comments: