Visits

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Me and the Rapid Expansion of the Universe

A recent article from Business Insider tells us that the universe is expanding faster than scientists thought. It is, the author writes, a "crisis in cosmology" that could require a new physics. 

Well, I can say from personal experience that I have noticed this as well. The older I get, the faster everything goes! Days and nights, for instance, and an in between that flashes past at light speed. Is the universe expanding faster because I am getting older? I suspect so, although I have no scientific data to prove it. Yet. Give me time. 

I happened yesterday to see a photo of myself from two years ago on Facebook. The photo was taken at a time when I had shaved my head and grown a bit of a beard. Hmm, I actually look pretty good there, I thought. Younger. Perhaps the problem is not with an accelerated passage of time, an expansion of the universe, but only with my hair. So I decided last night to shave my hair off. (I'm talking about the hair on my head, of course, not the hair on my entire body). 

This did not have the effect of rendering a younger appearance. Or anything like it. No, it made me look more like an elderly, somewhat crazed Charlie Brown who had escaped from the nursing home. Not at all what I was shooting for. 

Clearly, therefore, in just two years, time had completely transformed my person to an extent that should have taken, or so it seems to me, at least ten years. Forget telescopes and physics and astronomical measurements. I am the evidence of the greatly accelerated expansion of the universe, the daring escape of time itself. Ozymandias. Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

No comments: