Visits

Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Christmas Day

There's something about Christmas Day, even in Bali, where there is no Christmas Day to speak of. But it's not so much a day, is it, as an awareness. I woke this morning feeling unusually rested, unusually well, and thought Ah, it is Christmas. The bright tropical light peeked intensely through the drapes in the front room and through the Venetian blinds in the kitchen, waiting to be let in. I found the dog on the front porch waiting to be let in as well. Merry Christmas, Takut! Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. What I had was a package of 'beef flavored' dog treats, which he happily received. On the way out to Starbucks I find a small army of splendidly dressed women, full of light and cheer, crossing to the park wherein, I believe, some Christmas event is being held. Selamat Hari Natal, I say to everyone I meet--Christian, Muslim, Hindu, it doesn't matter. They all know merry Christmas, for the day is in their hearts as well, and they return the greeting, glimmering, each a colored light of his and her own. We are all glowing, shimmering in the grand tree of life, flashing, radiant, reflecting in all the glassy globes. Behold, I bring you tidings of great joy. Christmas day is here. Christmas day is everywhere. 

No comments: