Visits

Monday, December 9, 2019

Tears

For the first time since getting cataract surgery, I wept. Not because of the surgery, mind you, but in response to a maudlin sort of short Xmas video on YouTube. It was that sudden sort of impromtu and fairly unwarranted sort of weaping that I always associate with pseudobulbar effect, that strange byproduct of MS experienced by many of us. To be honest, I had actually worried about crying after having the surgery. Would stinging tears wash away the miraculous effects of the surgery, leaving my vision dim and foggy as it was before? Would all that money I had put out trickle down my cheeks and end in soggy, pointless debt? 

Well, thankfully, I can report that tears do not wash away the effects of cataract surgery. Which is something I'm pretty sure you already knew. 

Why is it, anyway, that I so readily weap for no reason, and yet do not weap in situations that clearly call for tears? Have all the tears been expended on pointless things? Or do I reserve tears for pointless things? Hmmm. 

No comments: