Visits

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Sea of Sweat

Man do I envy Indonesians during the heat of the day, which nowadays lasts pretty much all day and most of the night. 

When I reach the mall, not very far away, and dismount from my bike, I may as well be stepping out of a lake--sweat running down my face, running down my neck, spotting my shirt-front, shirt sticking to my back. Ugh. 

And yet here are Indonesian men and women, boys and girls, also just arriving, fresh and dry as can be! How does this happen? Is it all about the skin pigment? Does an Indonesian's body temperature adjust more perfectly? Does the Indonesian body come with natural air-conditioning? I dunno. 

I always feel like everyone is staring at me. Poor bule. Even inside the Starbucks, I am still not dry. I am damp and clammy. How much of this is insufficient heat adjustment due to MS? Are other bules sweating this much. Hmm. I don't know. There are no other bules in this neighborhood. 

Perhaps, just maybe, Indonesia is not the best choice for a place for live. For a bule, I mean. 

No comments: