Visits

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Surprise

I was sleeping soundly this midday hour, which I don't like to do but which seems to be the customary drill in these elder years of mine, when I was awakened by voices from somewhere nearby. 

Waking gradually, inch by inch, the voices seemed at first somehow to be coming from the sky itself and I thought, Well, okay, it's just voices in the sky, nothing to be concerned about. Fully awakening, however, I realized that the voices were coming from the maid, her husband, my 'personal assistant' Destu, and the yard worker, and that they were in my house. 

Dry-mouthed, bleary-eyed and stupid, I staggered to my feet to discover what this sudden house party could be about. As it turns out, they were arranging things in the driveway so that they could fit Louis' car into the space that is usually occupied by my outdoor table, my motorbike, and various large potted plants. 

"What's going on?" I asked. 

"We bring Louis car." 

"Why?"

"Two days, Louis here." 

"Yes, but isn't she living in Sawangan?" 

"She live next door, Om. Sawangan not ready." 

"Hah?"

"Iya." 

"But there's no water next door." 

"Iya, Om. She use your water." 

Good grief. 

So in this manner I find out that Louis is moving in next door, that her car will be parked in my driveway, and that she will shower and otherwise probably do pretty much everything in my house, which has a functioning shower, toilet, sinks, and so on. 

But oh well, this is after all her house, as is the one next door. I'm just the renter. 

No comments: