Visits

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Oscars 2020

 It's Oscar time again, and as usual I am watching all the Best Picture nominees. So far, I have seen five of them and come to the conclusion that there were really no very good movies made this year. 

I've already written about Nomadland. I found the movie sufficiently engaging to be watched through, but it seemed more fitting for the documentary category (if there is one) rather than a Best Picture option. 

Last night I suffered through Promising Young Woman, which strikes me as more worthy of the Dumbest Movie of the Year category. No need to say more. 

The Trial of the Chicago Seven is a good little movie, interesting, well-acted, and rather nostalgic for those of us who were living at the time. But we kind of know the story, don't we--how it begins and how it ends. I really prefer originality and inventiveness in a Best Picture film. 

Mank was 'meh', I thought. I don't really care about the lives of Hollywood folks, nearly as much as Hollywood folks do, anyway). 

I also watched Minari yesterday, which I thought was quite good for its central message and for the "real people" sort of feeling imparted by the lead roles and those who acted them. It was also surprisingly refreshing to see a movie about a minority family living in America that did not focus on racist whites and racial violence. In fact, it did not touch on this subject at all. It was about people of all colors who are generally good, generally friendly, generally well meaning--whom, if we watch too much of the news, may seem totally absent from society these days. For me, this movie (another South Korean film, btw, with subtitles) is easily the winner among the options I've seen so far. 

Those I have yet to see are Sound of Metal, The Father, and Judas and the Black Messiah. 

No comments: