Visits

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Yearly Permit

Finally, I got my call this morning to present myself at the immigration office and go through the usual drill to receive my yearly foreign resident permit, which consists in the main part of waiting. One then has his photo taken, his fingerprints taken, and that's it. 

I was beginning to worry a bit, as I noticed the other day that my previous permit (called a KITAS) had already expired. No worries, my agent told me. It is still in process. It had occurred to me that I would no doubt need this for seeking the COVID vaccine, although I have learned since then that it's not that simple. A foreign resident, as it turns out, needs a number of documents, which must be requested from a number of offices (all for a fee, I suspect). One would then present these proofs, along with the KITAS itself, to whoever is administering the vaccine. 

This morning, Louis went to get her vaccine at the local Banjar, while most of the neighborhood residents had done so yesterday. All, it seems, ended up with flu-like symptoms for a brief time afterwards, and one poor woman is still suffering these symptoms today. Given that I always kind of feel like I have the flu 24 hours a day, I'm not excited about the idea of making it worse yet. But oh well. Louis tells me to 'wait for now', which I'm happy to do. 

No comments: