Visits

Friday, November 18, 2022

Nit-wittery

 An acquaintance of mine, whom I am proud not to call a friend, posted a photo this morning on Facebook of Indonesian President Widodo helping President Biden after he tripped at a sightseeing tour during the G20 conference in Bali. This photo, as with all other photos of Biden tripping or at least seeming to trip, is meant to convey the idea that Biden cannot possibly be a good president if he trips. Of course, we've all seen this sort of thing before, not only with Biden, but with all recent presidents, gleefully posted by those who don't like them. 

The intended message, however, was lost on me--because what I instantly thought upon seeing this photo was of the many times kind Indonesian folks have helped me along when I lost my footing, or indeed rushed to my aid when I actually fell. Am I stupid because I tripped, suddenly unworthy of respect, surely unable to think clearly? Is Biden?

Well of course not. This sort of foolishness, this posting of photos that are supposed to be somehow compromising, is a game for nitwits. Nitwits who, believe it or not, will someday grow old themselves and likely less sure of foot.  

What must they think of FDR, I wonder, who could not walk at all? 

Oh well he had a disease, they will say. He couldn't help it. 

Right. Biden has a disease too, called old age. And I have a disease, called multiple sclerosis. And Indonesians in general have a character trait called compassion--something that seems woefully lacking in many Americans these days.

1 comment:

Christoph said...

For 2 days u have been in the center of the world, my friend