Visits

Monday, December 26, 2022

A Day in the Life

 It stopped raining today, of which I was awfully glad, for as I mentioned in the previous post, it was necessary for me to present this morning to the office of immigration in Denpasar and I really preferred to walk in rather than wade in or slosh in under the door. 

Upon arriving, I was given ticket number 193. 

Number 60 had just been called.

Oh good Lord. 

What does one do for two hours in the office of immigration? I had brought a book along, but it was extremely hot in the building and extremely crowded and extremely loud, making reading next to impossible. And I did try. I read the first paragraph of a short story by Yu Hua five times without comprehending a word of it. So much for reading.  

What then? 

Well, I texted with my girlfriend on the phone for a few minutes, but of course she herself had work to do. So, I scrolled through Facebook, I scrolled through Instagram, I checked my e-mail. 

So much for the phone. 

"Number 62," the loudspeaker barked. 

Great! Only 131 left to go. 

My mind was so numb by the time I reached the photo and interview room, waving ticket number 193 in the air, that I had a difficult time retrieving basic details of my life, such as my address, the number of years I had been in Bali, and the type of foreign resident permit I was seeking. 

"Is this for Kitas or Kitap?" the officer asked. 

"Yes ... I mean, it's the one, you know, um, it's--"

"Kitab," the officer said, glancing at the paperwork. 

"Yes! That's it!"

"Very good. And what do you do here?"

"Do?"

"Why are you in Bali?"

Gosh. Why indeed? This seemed a loaded question, as much a puzzle to me as to him. A philosophical question, really. An existential question. 

"Retirement?" the office offered helpfully. 

"Yes!" Whew. 

Yeah, so we did the electronic fingerprints as usual, and I signed the black pad with the invisible pen, such that as usual there was no telling what I actually wrote, and I was done. Finished. Free! 

Until next time. 

No comments: