Visits

Saturday, December 3, 2022

Child-Like

 Still ill with the flu or whatever, but slowly recovering (God willing). It seems like so many other things go wrong in conjunction with the flu (or because of the flu?). For example, I have a longstanding problem with my stomach/gastroesophageal reflux. This is exacerbated by the flu illness. I am generally fatigued when well, and this is also exacerbated by the flu. My various muscular aches and pains are made worse by the flu. 

Woe is me. 

You know, a good way of knowing that you are getting old is to see it through the eyes of others. For example, a neighbor came by today to bring food to the dogs, who happened to be at my house, and while standing outside the door, he said he smelled gas. News to me, but sure enough, my gas cannister (used for the cooking stove) was empty. One is supposed to know this by the smell of gas. In my defense, however, my stuffed-up nose made it impossible to smell leaking gas or really anything else. Anyway, on seeing that the container was empty, this neighbor took it upon himself to heft the thing down the street (heavy even when empty), buy a refill, and then heft the thing back again. And bring it inside. And hook it up for me. And test to make sure it was working. 

I guess the good thing about getting old is that you get to be treated like a child again. 

Unfortunately, you don't get to feel like a child where health and vigor are concerned. 


No comments: