Visits

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Magic Money

It has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain when awake. ~Mark Twain

Dead broke, with a week to go until payday, I found myself wondering this morning, above all other things, what I was going to do when my last pack of cigarettes went empty.

When I checked my bank account, however, I found that $250.00 had been deposited therein by the Department of the Treasury. Why? I do not know.

My immediate inclination was to praise God, but then of course God, as I am told by people who would seem to know, does not Himself smoke, nor does He approve of smoking.

To what providence then shall I attribute this magical appearance of cold hard cash? Do I have a secret admirer in the Treasury Department? Or perhaps it is mistake made by the bank (they've been known to make a few lately).

I do not know. All I know is that the balance yesterday was zero, and today, this morning, it is $250.00.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth. So the saying goes. And it suddenly makes all the sense in the world.

I'm headed for the bank. See y'all later.

No comments: