Visits

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Man's Best Friend


The dog has fallen into the habit of sleeping on my legs at night. Actually it is both dogs, but the smaller one hardly counts, being perhaps 90 pounds lighter than the large one.

Why they have decided that my legs are the most comfortable part of the mattress, I cannot guess. Or perhaps it is only that my legs are in the way, and so they simply lie on top of them rather than get down onto the floor where they ought to be.

On the other hand, why is it that my wife's legs are not so comfortable and/or obstructing than my own? Why, come to think of it, is her entire side of the bed spared the presence of these dogs altogether?

It's because they love you, she says. They want to be close to you.

Well close is one thing, but . . .

That's what you get for having dogs.

That's what I get. Fair enough.

On the bright side, I guess I would have to admit that I am no longer so much aware of the numbness, tingling, and achiness in my legs which is due to multiple sclerosis; this being, of course, because I cannot really feel my legs at all after the dogs are done with their nighttime slumber.

Are you sick, are you crippled, are you hurting? Get a dog!

No comments: