Visits

Saturday, April 1, 2017

The Accidental Thief

There are a lot of Honda Vario motorbikes in Bali. A lot of them are white. I myself have a white Honda Vario. Therefore, it is not too surprising that I, upon returning to the parking lot from Starbucks this morning, tried to force my key into the wrong white Honda Vario. 

During this time, a young man was standing by the motorbike next to this particular Honda Vario, arranging things inside the saddle while continually glancing with some interest in my direction. Working at the ignition slot, I soon notice something unusual about the bike. It is clean. And this was my first clue that it was not, in fact, my bike.

Oh! Hey, this is not my bike! I checked the licence plate. Definitely not my bike. 

Ya, the young man said. Dat my fren bike.

Lol.  

So, are you gonna just stand there and watch me steal your friend's bike? That's the first thing I'm wondering. Are you going to wait till I actually mount the thing and try to drive away before sounding the alarm? 

In any case, I found my own bike a couple bikes away. The dirty one. 

Ah, here we go. That one is clean, I say. Mine is dirty. 

Ya, Pak. Yours needs da bath. 

Well, it does. But on the other hand, this may be something to remember it by in the future. Mine needs the bath. The others are clean. 


No comments: