Visits

Friday, January 24, 2020

Almost a Surprise

Well, I guess I misjudged people regarding birthday wishes. Turns out that many sent a note, and Louis, my third wife, even tried to spring a surprise party on me. Almost succeeded too! I hate surprise parties, and she knows that, but she likes parties so the latter cancels out the former, according to some sort of math. 

Her friend Betty, who often assists me in various tasks here, had called the day before to tell me that I was scheduled to see the eye doctor. This struck me as a bit strange, because I had just recently seen an eye doctor for what turned out to be dry eye syndrome, but Betty explained that the doctor just wanted a follow-up to make sure all was well. Dutifully, therefore, I met Betty on my birthday for a visit to Sanglah Hospital. 

What tipped me off, however, was a call that morning from my stepson in Arizona, who said that his mom told him it was my birthday and that he ought to send me a message. What struck me as odd about this was that Louis herself had not acknowledged my birthday. Had sent no message and made no call. Hmmm. How was it that she told Sasha to call and yet had not herself called? 

Something was up. 

So when Betty took the wrong road to the hospital (with the excuse that it as a 'shortcut'), things became clear. I was in for a surprise party, like it or not. 

Well, it wasn't so bad, despite the fact that it was held at a karaoke place (I also dislike karaoke, and she knows that; but she likes it). I was compelled to struggle through three Frank Sinatra songs with my 66 year old voice, but was rewarded in any case with a nice lunch and a chocolate cake (I do like chocolate cake, and she knows that too). 

This morning, which is actually yesterday in America, an old grade school friend sent a picture from the Washington High School yearbook of me appearing not to be me at all. Blast from the past. 

All in all, for someone who didn't want to be 66 to begin with, and who does not like to be the center of attention, the day was fairly palatable. 

No comments: