Visits

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Teetering

It occurred to me this morning as I trudged up to the mall for my usual morning coffee that my health always varies these days between generally unwell to seriously unwell. Wellness is but a dim memory. 

Just now, and for some time now, I have been in the 'generally unwell' category. My body temperature runs for some reason almost always a bit above normal--normal being 36.7 and the actual temperature usually between 37.1 and 37.3, while 37.5 would indicate an actual low grade fever. On top of this, there is the strange neurologic abnormality that causes me to feel feverish, without having an actual fever. Lately I have been having to take two pregabalin tablets a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, rather than just one a day.

Moreover, the inexplicable pain in my shoulder and neck, sometimes extending to my upper back or side, has reasserted itself, God knows why. For this, I take methylprednisolone, though I am aware now that I need to use this medication sparingly, given its negative effect on my stomach problem. 

Which leads us to the stomach problem. Sigh. While this has been much better in general, it is only kept so by adhering to a strict diet and using a proton pump inhibitor every day. I do get tired of the bland diet, and I do crave my favorite things, but allowing the latter consistently leads to problems with acid rising to my throat again, making it sore, making swallowing difficult, and so on and so forth. 

I think of this general state of ill health as being 'good', and I feel always that I am teetering just on the edge of the 'seriously ill' threshold. Approaching now the time a year ago when I entered what was to be a six month period of serious illness, I can't help but feel a bit nervous. Freaked out, actually. But I suppose I'm just being superstitious. 

After all, I have had assurance from above of a period of relative comfort before the end. 

No comments: