Visits

Monday, March 23, 2009

Is It MS, Is It The Medication, Or Is It Just Life?

Such are the three questions we who have MS are continually confronted with. The neurologist may ask "Have you had any problems since I last saw you?"

Well of course. But should I be talking to you about them, or to my PCP, or to my psychiatrist?

Who knows?

Since switching from Avonex to Copaxone, for instance, it seems to me that I have been significantly more fatigued. Given, however, that fatigue is one of my enduring MS symptoms anyway, is this just an exacerbation of that baseline condition, or does it actually have something to do with Copaxone, or is it my lifestyle of late, reduced sleep perhaps, too much activity, not enough activity?

Who knows?

MS is a stealthy creature, elusive, secretive. It is fond of disguises and trickery. It is like the song once sung by the surviving gestational twin--You got my brother but you didn't get me, 'cause I was hidin' behind the left kidney

I've been feeling depressed, doc. But depression is not generally associated with Copaxone. Is it? Then again, it can be associated with MS, with nerve damage. And it is also associated sometimes with simple day to day living. Or the weather. Or the bad attitude of your mate. Or the bad attitude of the national economy, and the fact that your retirement has just been cut in half.

Exactly how excited are we supposed to get about injecting a treatment that hurts like hell and leaves saucer sized bruises on the skin?

Doesn't this seem counter intuitive--the notion that injecting a substance that elicits an immediate objection from the body is nonetheless a wise thing to do?

Or am I just being oversensitive, a grumbler and a complainer?

I'm tired, doc, and my right arm was paralyzed yesterday for 2 hours and 14 minutes, and my feet feel like bricks, and I'm continually confused and disoriented, and for some reason I'm kind of bummed out, ya know?

Who ya gonna call . . . ?

No comments: