Visits

Friday, June 5, 2009

Loading In Progress . . .

Mornings are sometimes like this for me--where tying ones own shoes is a challenging enough task in and of itself. Functioning on a level any more demanding than this is initially out of the question. It takes time--time for the system to restart itself, for all the tripping, rattling programs to reboot and load. In this sense, my old Compaq and I are perfect partners in a common ineptitude.

There are things to do. I am to take my son to school, I am to go to one bank and deposit money and to another to withdrawal money, I am to pick up something at the store (I know not what anymore), and then later I will need to work.

So far I have managed only the application of my shoes and a stop at Starbucks, where I sit at this moment wondering why it is taking so damn long for anything to show up on the blank screen, otherwise known as my brain. It's like staring at that little revolving wheel--program loading--and ending up mesmerized by the same, turning, turning, turning, without reason or result.

Now my wife has called with another errand, and the dial-up part of my brain that is now working, more or less, has become fixated on these errands, so that I can think of nothing else, knowing that I will soon forget what I am supposed to be remembering.

The other day I got an I-Phone. You can write messages to yourself, set reminder alarms, and even send yourself e-mails. I could even send myself an e-mail here at Starbucks and pick it up on my laptop before I finish my coffee.

The only trouble is, I can't figure out how to work the damn thing.

No comments: