Visits

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Latest Questions for the Neurologist


Getting the customary list together for my upcoming neurology appointment. I always have new questions, which rarely have answers. Actually, there is one answer to all, which is Dude, you got MS.

Anyway, first on my list will be the trouble I'm having with my eyes. The ophthalmologist said it is cataracts, the neurologist said it's not. So:

1. What is it, and is there anything at all that can be done about it?

It's becoming pretty damn difficult to read, for example; and reading just happens to be something I both like and need to do--for my own pleasure as well as for my job. I have considered purchasing a seeing eye dog, but most of them can't read above the 2nd grade level, so this probably would be of no real benefit.

2. Why am I so fatigued, despite taking Provigil, and what can I do about it? I know that medical marijuana is available for those who qualify, but what about medical speed or cocaine? Just for getting through the valleys, you know? As it is, I end up taking a nap almost every day, and feel lousy if I don't. These naps are something the dogs enjoy, but are otherwise a waste of time.

3. Confusion, disorientation, memory loss: All becoming worse. I have already tried Aricept, which did nothing. What else is there? I saw a television show, an old Three Stooges episode, where Moe hit Curly on the head with a hammer, and it did Curly a world of good. Is there any medical basis at all for this? Is it FDA approved?

4. Lastly, I just recently read an article stating that research had shown positive, though early, results in treating gray matter loss in MS with the diabetes drug Actos. Moreover, the drug appears to have cured mice with MS. Whether the subjects lived or died afterwards is not stated in the article. Nor am I certain how the scientists determined that the mice were cured. Perhaps they were given verbal grocery lists and all succeeded in returning from the store with every item.

No comments: