Visits

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Silence, More or Less

All quiet on Nyepi Day. Well, almost. Several people online have mentioned the presence of operatic roosters in various neighborhoods, and this would include mine. It's just one rooster, mind you, but a very vocal one, just behind the house that is just behind mine. Up to this moment, the neighborhood dogs have had nothing whatsoever to say, although one has now decided to give a long, rather repetitive speech, noting, I suspect, that silence makes for a captive audience. I just don't know why he has to say the same thing over and over again. Typical politician. I do not doubt, however, that this dog is being truthful (which is more than I can say for many of our human representatives). Biznet seems to have lied about ... well, about Biznet. It had been announced that there would be no internet service on Nyepi, but the fact is that it's actually working better than usual. Maybe they couldn't figure out how to turn themselves off. (Where's the off switch, Ketut? Holy cow, where IS the off switch, Nyoman?). Anyway, I'm rather enjoying this Nyepi Day, so far. The thing that would make it even better is that if a person (me, for instance) could go outside and walk around - just kind of bask in the silence, the stillness, the motion of nature. After all, silence in my house is the norm. The loudest thing in my house is the kids in the house behind my house.

No comments: