Visits

Monday, September 9, 2019

A Short Stroll

As I come out on the far end of my long illness, I find among other things that my legs no longer function normally. Well, let me amend that. They haven't functioned normally for some years now, but I have found that they are functioning more abnormally yet than previously.

My plan this morning was to get out and do a sort of walking/photo taking tour of part of Sanur--not the beachfront, as would be more typical, but the street-side business district. Downtown, so to speak. This includes essentially the length of Jalan Danau Tamblingan, onto Jalan Danau Poso, and thence back to the highway, otherwise known as the Bypass. Why? Because it bypasses the town proper of Sanur. 

As it turned out, however, I was able to walk only a short distance, from my parking spot opposite the Starbucks down to the Circle K store--a distance of perhaps three city blocks. Not what I had in mind. Plus, I took only one photo as I rested at the Circle K with a yogurt drink. 

The legs feel quite weak and quickly cease to adopt a normal gait, the feet clumsy and uncertain. This soon becomes not a pleasant tour but a worrisome unsureness of whether I will be able to make it back to my bike without embarrassing myself or suddenly sitting down in the middle of traffic. Making things more difficult was the fact that the day, though the hour was only 10 am, was unusually hot. So much for the pleasant summer weather we have lately been enjoying.

So what to do? Do the muscles simply need exercising, strengthening? Could be. But then what the hell happened to the balance? 

I find as well that I am very easily fatigued. In fact, I wake up fatigued after a solid eight hours of sleep. I will get up, watch a bit of the news, eat breakfast, get dressed, and then straightaway want to go back to sleep--and very often do so. I will also often fall asleep after coming home from coffee--a deep, dead, sudden sleep that seems to leave the body and brain waterlogged.  What's up with that? 

Anyway, I think I'll go with a plan to push myself to exercise more and try to re-strengthen a bit. Hope it doesn't make me sick again! 

No comments: